Lighten up this hearty Louisiana favorite with smoked turkey sausage instead of the traditional andouille sausage (made from smoked pork and beef).
Or, make a vegetarian version, with no meat at all.
But remember: meat adds flavor, so if you use less meat or less spicy sausage, add additional spice according to your taste.
Lean Red Beans and Rice
- 1 cup red beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces boneless smoked pork chops (or other meat), well trimmed, diced
- 4 ounces andouille or smoked turkey sausage, diced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 cups water
- Steamed brown rice (1/2 cup per serving)
In a large pot, cover beans with water and soak overnight. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.
Stir in pork chops, sausage, thyme and cayenne and sauté 2 minutes.
Drain soaked beans, then add to pot with 3 1/2 cups water. Simmer over low heat until beans are creamy, about 1 1/2 hours.
Serve with steamed rice.
Nutritional information: 150 calories per serving (about 270 calories with ½ cup rice) , 5 g fat, 614 mg sodium, 20 mg cholesterol.
Adapted from Bon Appetit.