With football season in full swing, you’ll find many of us in front of the TV with family and friends, rooting on our favorite teams.
But all too often, game time means high-fat, high-calorie snacks: chips and dip, burgers and brats, or pizza. Here’s a better choice: Gobble Bites Sliders.
This great recipe, from the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, features low-fat ground turkey, high-fiber hummus, healthy fresh veggies – and, of course, good Wisconsin feta cheese!
Give it extra zip by using spicy hummus and chopped green or Kalamata olives.
Gobble Bites Sliders
Makes 12 sliders
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Salt, pepper, dried oregano to taste
- 12 cocktail (or mini burger) buns
- 1/2 cup hummus (plain or spicy)
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 2.25-ounce can sliced black olives, drained (or chopped green or Kalamata olives)
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) low-fat Wisconsin feta cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Divide turkey into 12 equal portions.
Form each into a thin patty, 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter.
Place patties on broiler pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
Lightly sprinkle patties with salt, pepper, and oregano. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until fully cooked.
Meanwhile, split buns in half horizontally. Set tops aside.
On bottoms, spread hummus, cover with spinach leaves, top with cucumber slices, and sprinkle with olives and red peppers.
Place hot turkey burgers on top, cover patties with feta and replace bun tops.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: 155 calories per slider.