Ascension Via Christi Hospitals in Wichita is the lead organization for the Safe Kids Wichita Area Coalition, a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, which is dedicated to preventing accidental childhood injury to children through age 14.
Locally, Safe Kids Coalition has:
- Established biweekly community car seat checkups
- Donated car seats to low-income Wichita-area families
- Sold bike helmets at reduced cost through area organizations
- Donated smoke detectors to local health departments for low-income families with children
- Provided child safety brochures and information at safety fairs and to local groups conducting child safety activities
- Initiated funding and facilitated construction of new crosswalks and pedestrian safety signs near Harry Street Elementary School
- Provided over 20,000 fireworks safety cards through area fireworks stands
- Educated on average 3,000 area students on fire and burn safety during Fire Prevention Week
- Collaborated with Wichita Police Department in providing bicycle safety clinics during the summer
For information about upcoming Safe Kids Wichita events, or to find out how you can help us keep kids safe, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 316-268-6760.