Combination of education and exercise helps patients manage cardiac health
Via Christi’s Cardiac Rehabilitation program combines education with exercise to create a personal plan to help manage your cardiac health. To help you understand your heart condition, you will learn about cardiac risk factors, exercise, nutrition and proper use of your medication.
You will also learn the dos and don’ts of exercise and warm-up and cool-down activities. Our staff will help you develop a walking or biking plan and will teach you to recognize symptoms that indicate that you are not tolerating an activity.
The knowledgeable cardiac rehabilitation staff works with patients to develop an exercise program that builds in a wide range of benefits, including:
- Decreasing the chance of a heart attack
- Slowing the progression of heart disease
- Decreasing the incidence of chest discomfort
- Improving circulation
- Increasing muscle and bone strength
- Reducing heart rate
- Increasing stamina and endurance
- Reducing blood pressure
- Helping control weight
- Reducing stress
- Reducing depression and improving a sense of well-being
The program is designed for people in the later stages of recovery following heart attack or bypass surgery, angioplasty or other cardiac event, or those who are at risk for developing heart problems.
Patients are referred to the program by a physician. The program combines exercise and education in three, one-hour sessions a week, and may last anywhere from six to 12 weeks, depending on the progress of the patient. All exercise is closely monitored through telemetry by the staff to ensure your safety.
Goals of the program include:
- Educate patients about cardiac risk factors, appropriate lifestyle changes and self-care
- Offer a flexible, individualized exercise program
- Improve muscle strength, endurance and work capacity
- Provide an environment that motivates a lifetime of regular exercise
- Meet the psychological needs of patients by teaching them methods to increase confidence and decrease anxiety and depression
Via Christi Cardiac Rehabilitation is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation, whose standards are being recognized by insurance companies as part of performance quality measurements in patient care.
Cardiac rehabilitation services are available in Wichita, Pittsburg and Manhattan.