Diabetes care and treament at Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg
Ascension Via Christi Hospital's Diabetes education department is dedicated to serving people with diabetes and their families. Our purpose is to:
- Educate you about diabetes.
- Give you the confidence to manage the daily challenges of living with diabetes.
- Prevent long-term complications.
Accredited by the American Diabetes Association, our program is designed to help you at any stage of your disease, whether you just learned of your diabetes or are looking for ongoing support. With a staff of Diabetes educators, we offer information, classes and one-on-one support to help you become informed and live well.
We offer one-on-one appointments with nurses and dietitians who specialize in diabetes management. A referral from a healthcare provider is required.
We have evening classes scheduled throughout the year. The four-part classes take place on Mondays from 6-8 p.m.
Upcoming class dates:
- Mar 11,18,25, Apr 1
- Apr 29, May 6,13,20
- July 29, Aug 5,12,19
- Sept 16,23,30, Oct 7
- Oct 28, Nov 4,11,18
These sessions include information on:
- General diabetes
- Nutritional management and carb counting
- Exercise guidelines
- Medication usage
- Self-monitoring techniques
- Preventing and detecting risks and complications
- Healthy coping and developing positive behavior changes
Free community activities
As a service to the community, we periodically offer diabetes screenings at area health fairs.