Designed to relieve suffering, improve quality of life for the terminally ill
Ascension Via Christi Hospital Pittsburg's Palliative Care program is designed to relieve suffering and improve quality of life for individuals with advanced illness while providing support for their families. Death and dying and new onset disease are not comfortable topics to discuss. Communication between the patient, family members and healthcare workers is necessary if symptom management or end-of-life care wishes are to be honored. Our program is designed to improve communication, provide symptom management, and improve quality of life for people who are terminally ill, or have progressive debilitating disease and for their families.
What is Palliative Care?
Palliative Care addresses pain management and symptom control while taking care of the whole person- body, mind, spirit, heart, and soul. In addition Palliative Care provides a support system to help family members cope with a terminal diagnosis or new onset disease. Ascension Via Christi Hospital offers Palliative Care for patients experiencing an advanced, terminal, or life threatening illness, as well as those requiring symptom management. The goal of Palliative Care is to improve quality of life, provide information regarding the dying process, and offer support for the individual and their family.
What are the benefits of Palliative Care?
- It respects the choices and goals of the terminally ill individual and their family.
- It emphasizes symptom management to improve patient comfort.
- It emphasizes retention of functional status.
- Staff assists patients family with complex decision-making and goals at end of life, during symptom management or during new onset of disease.
- It addresses patients with medical, emotional, social and spiritual needs at end of life or during symptom management.
- It provides education regarding end of life, new onset disease and symptom management.
- It addresses pain and symptom management with medication as well as alternative therapies such as massage, guided imagery, music, and aromatherapy.
- It supports the needs of the family.