Via Christi Birth and Women's Center in Manhattan, Kansas
The Via Christi Birth and Women's Center gives you the best of both worlds. We offer advanced medical services and technologies to keep you and your child safe, all in a warm, family-focused environment. We strive every day to provide highly trained hands and a strong heart to each person we serve. Our mission is to create a personalized birthing experience that meets the individual needs of each mother and family.
Giving birth to your new baby is one of the most natural and rewarding experiences of your life. At the Via Christi Birth and Women's Center, we are here to help provide comfort and support during this memorable, life-changing time. Our family-centered model of care fosters an environment where the family is a vital part of the decision-making. Our goal is to have a happy and healthy mother, baby and family.
For more information, please contact us. We look forward to helping you welcome your newborn into the world! For tours of the Birth & Women's Center, please call 785-587-5463 about an hour before you plan to arrive to ensure there is a nurse available. We look forward to hearing from you!
Designed with you and your baby in mind, the Via Christi Birth and Women's Center offers:
- A homelike environment for labor delivery and recovery
- A place where family and friends are welcome
- A wide range of non-invasive, low-tech birthing techniques, including:
- whirlpool hot tub
- birthing ball
- Rooming-in with your baby
- Double-sized beds
- New in-room bassinets
- Individualized nursing care according to the standards set by our national governing organizations:
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- Care based on the concepts of The Institute for Family-Centered Care
- Highly trained staff
- The only AAP-registered Level II neonatal intensive care nursery in the area, meaning we are prepared to care for babies who are premature or have other special medical needs
- State-of-the-art monitoring equipment and high-tech capabilities for the safety of you and your baby
- Infant security system for your peace of mind
- Mother and baby couplet care offering support and education for mothers
- A breastfeeding-friendly facility
- A certified, full-time lactation consultant on staff who offers breastfeeding consultations by appointment
- Educational courses about childbirth, breastfeeding, daddy basics, first aid and more. To search for upcoming Childbirth Education classes, visit our events page (be sure to select "Manhattan" as the city).
Our specially trained staff includes:
- Nurses trained in basic and advanced fetal monitoring through the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- All nurses trained in the Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) offered through the American Heart Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Nursery staff complete the S.T.A.B.L.E. Program, which addresses the stabilization of newborns who are born with heart, respiratory or other problems
- All nurses are trained in breastfeeding support
Devoted entirely to the breastfeeding needs of new mothers, Mother's Essentials: A Breastfeeding Store offers not just breastfeeding products, but lactation consultations and education as well.
Mother's Essentials was created to fill a local void in breastfeeding support and products. With the guidance of our certified lactation consultant, new mothers can seek answers from a qualified professional, whether they want a breastfeeding product, or advice about how to approach and become more comfortable with the process of breastfeeding. We make it easy to find the breastfeeding guidance and products you need...all in one place.
Are you looking for advice about breastfeeding, but don't know where to turn? Mother's Essentials provides lactation consultations with our international board certified lactation consultant.
Consultations may be suitable if your baby has poor weight gain, suck problems, or milk transfer problems, or if you have sore nipples or low milk production. Consults usually take 60 to 90 minutes, including evaluation and recommendations. If needed, follow-up appointments will be scheduled. The initial consultation does require a fee, but follow-up consultations are free of charge.
Mother’s Essentials is proud to carry Medela breastfeeding products, including:
- Hospital-grade pumps
- Personal-use pumps for daily use
- Manual pumps for occasional use
- Nursing bras (including extended sizes)
- Breast care products
- Nursing pads
- Cleaning essentials
- Pump replacement parts
- Pump accessories
We carry both manual and electric breast pumps. Bra fittings, breast pump rental, and special orders are also available. And for the new mother who might be unsure of her needs, a gift certificate from Mother’s Essentials is the perfect gift.
The following pumps are available:
Pump In Style Advanced
Medela Single Deluxe
These hospital-grade rental pumps are preferable for mothers who are establishing a milk supply in the early days, or who are exclusively pumping because the baby cannot go to breast. These pumps are more expensive than purchase pumps, but more durable and effective as well.
Symphony offers breakthrough Natural Expression™ two-pattern pumping that mimics the way your baby nurses. The ultimate in comfort and flexibility, Symphony provides electric double or single pumping and ultra-quiet performance.
Rental contracts are set up on a monthly basis and require a refundable security deposit in the amount of one month of rent. Pre-payment is required. If the pump is returned early, rent will be pro-rated and a refund will be available. Though we have several rental pumps, we do recommend that you call to verify availability. Call to find out current rates for the following:
- Pump Rental Fee
- Pump Kit and
- Pump Security Deposit
We carry only Medela breast pumps because of their ability to work for most women and the willingness of the company to stand behind their products.
Please note: Per Medela, we are unable to advertise our prices for the Pump in Style Advanced on our website. Please contact us for a current price. Our prices are competitive, and we will teach you how to use the pump and answer any questions that you might have.
Pump In Style® Advanced
The highest performing retail pump available comes in both a shoulder bag and a backpack-style bag. Based upon newer research, this pump has a gentler vacuum pressure and an automatic cycling pattern.
Pump In Style Advanced is the only electric retail pump with Natural Expression™ technology, proven to reduce pumping time and designed for faster let-down and milk flow. Electric or battery power, and double or single pumping options are available.
This pump is designed for mothers who are returning to work outside the home, who will be separated from baby for temporary travel, or who want the convenience of a double electric breast pump. Pump In Style Advanced is designed to maintain an established milk supply, not to initiate or bring in a milk supply. It plugs into an electrical source, and also comes with a battery pack.
For exclusive pumping when baby is unable to go to the breast, we recommend you consider the Medela Symphony hospital-grade rental breast pump.
Medela and Pump In Style are registered trademarks and Natural Expression is a trademark of Medela Inc. © 2004 Medela Inc. All rights reserved.
The newest addition to the Medela family of 2-Phase Expression technology pumps, this pump is designed for occasional to daily use.
Small, lightweight and compact, the Swing is a personal-use, single electric breast pump with a one-touch let-down button designed for faster milk flow.
Medela and Swing are registered trademarks and Natural Expression is a trademark of Medela Inc. © 2004 Medela Inc. All rights reserved.
Feels more like baby than any other manual pump. Single pump designed for occasional use.
Harmony is the only manual pump with Natural Expression™ technology, proven to reduce pumping time and designed for faster let-down and milk flow. Massaging SoftFit™ Breastshield and ergonomic swivel handle provide a comfortable, natural pumping experience.
Medela is a registered trademark and Harmony, Natural Expression and SoftFit are trademarks of Medela Inc. © 2004 Medela Inc. All rights reserved.
New and expectant mothers have many questions about breastfeeding. We offer breastfeeding education to give you the answers you need, whether you are an expectant parent or part of a group or organization that wants to learn more about breastfeeding.
Our prenatal breastfeeding classes can answer your questions and help you prepare for nursing your child. For more information, read about the Breastfeeding Basics course.
Our lactation consultant is available for presentations to community groups, including high school classes, service groups and university classes. Presentations can be designed to fit your request. Common topics include: benefits of breastfeeding, how the body makes milk, and breastfeeding problem resolution.