Area's only dedicated inpatient cancer treatment center
Via Christi Cancer Institute located inside Via Christi Hospital St. Francis, is the area's only dedicated inpatient medical and surgical treatment center specifically for cancer. It is intended to give patients and their families the ideal care experience as they face what can be a long and difficult battle with their disease.
Open since summer 2011, it spans the entire north side of the seventh floor of the hospital, and includes:
- 40 spacious private patient rooms with bedside controls for window blinds, room temperature, lighting and television
- A soothing nature-inspired décor with plenty of natural light
- On-demand room service for meals and snacks
- Two radiation therapy rooms with private bathrooms and six private bone marrow transplant treatment rooms
- An ambulatory infusion center with four private and three community treatment bays for chemotherapy treatments
- Integrated therapies with a media room and dedicated space for yoga, art and massage therapy
- Two family gathering rooms, temporary family sleep quarters and a family laundry center
- An education resource room with Internet access for patients and families
- A prayer and meditation room, complete with a statue of St. Peregrine, the patron saint of cancer patients.
- A nearby pediatric unit offering a supportive environment for children fighting cancer
Here, hospitalized cancer patients receive care from a team of experts — physicians, nurses, nurse case managers, social workers, dietitians, chaplains and volunteers — who deliver care with compassion and competence.
Leading cancer care
The area's leader in cancer care, Via Christi Cancer Institute features Wichita's only program accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and the Foundation for Accreditation for Cellular Therapy. State-of-the-art treatment technologies — like the area's only CyberKnife and the da Vinci Robotic Surgery System — make Via Christi one of the most advanced cancer centers in the nation.
Treatment at Via Christi Cancer Institute
Cancer patients may come to the Via Christi Cancer Institute for a wide range of services:
- Chemotherapy services, including care of patients with suppressed immune systems, outpatient blood transfusions, bone marrow and stem cell transplants and palliative care to relieve pain, symptoms and stress of serious illness, whatever the diagnosis or prognosis
- Biotherapy, also known as immunotherapy, is treatment that stimulates the body's immune defense system to fight disease and infection. Patients may enter the hospital to receive chemotherapy or biotherapy, often in combination with surgery or radiation therapy.
- Surgery, in Via Christi Hospital’s advanced surgical suites, are equipped with the latest technology and staffed by expert physicians, nurses and other professionals to ensure that the most complex surgical procedures can be performed
Cancer Wellness Program
Via Christi’s inpatient Cancer Exercise and Wellness Program helps patients build strength to fight the physical and emotional stress of cancer.
Patients receive individualized exercise sessions with a clinical exercise physiologist with a specialist certification in Cancer Exercise.
Research has proven that exercise is safe and beneficial during and after cancer treatment. An exercise and wellness program can be helpful in fighting the negative effects of treatment. Benefits can include:
- Increasing energy levels and lessening of fatigue
- Improvement of stress management and coping skills
- Reduction of pain and increase of pain tolerance
- Improvement in tolerance to chemotherapy
- Strengthening of immune system and decrease of risk of infection
- Increase in overall strength, endurance and balance
- Improvement in nutrition and overall quality of life