After your doctor has said that you are well enough to return home, you will be discharged from the hospital. Please do not leave until the nurse has reviewed your discharge instructions and you have received them in writing.
Before you leave, you should always know:
- What medications you need to take when you get home and how, when and why you are taking them
- What problems to watch for
- Who and when to call concerning any problems
- What foods to eat, and what foods to avoid
- How to use any medical equipment you might be taking home with you
- When your next doctor's appointment will be
- How to take care of your incision or cast, if you have one
- Please ask questions if you do not understand your discharge instructions. After you get home, you may think of more questions.
Please feel free to call the hospital at 785-776-3322, and ask for the nursing unit from which you were discharged.
After You Go Home
Mercy Regional Health Center offers many options for your care when you go home from the hospital. The members of your healthcare team can help you identify your needs, provide suggestions, and make some initial contacts at appropriate agencies. Some of the resources that are available at Mercy East, Mercy West and the Sunset Campus include:
- Nursing services
- Therapy services (physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy)
- Weight-loss services
- Durable medical equipment
- Home pharmacy/infusion (IV) services
- Outpatient behavioral health services
- Diabetes education
- Fitness/wellness services
These resources allow our qualifying patients to continue to obtain the excellent care they have been receiving in the hospital once they return home. You can talk to your nurse or social worker for more information about these services.