Our breastfeeding basics class is designed to help prepare you before birth for nursing your baby. If you are unsure about how you want to feed your baby, attending this class will assist you in making an informed decision about breastfeeding.
Class topics include:
- What are the benefits of breastfeeding to my baby and me? How do I get started?
- What should I eat and drink?
- How do I know my baby is getting enough breast milk?
- How and when should I find breastfeeding support?
- How do I address my family's concerns about breastfeeding?
- Can I breastfeed and work or go to school?
Knowledgeable support after birth is helpful, so attending with your labor support partner is encouraged.
Ascension Via Christi Hospital also offers a weekly Breastfeeding Support Group, Milk Matters, for new mothers. Instructor Melanie Ramsey, RN, BSN, IBCLC, CBE, has worked at the Birth & Women's Center and Mother's Essentials for several years and is a certified lactation consultant. In addition to teaching Breastfeeding Basics, Melanie provides postpartum care and is available for one-on-one consultations by appointment.
It is recommended to complete this series 4 weeks before your due date.
Labor partners are welcome.