You are here
RECIPE: Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Legumes are so nutrient-packed, they do double duty as a protein and a vegetable. Types of legumes are peas, beans, lentils peanuts and other podded plants. They are wonderful for replacing meat in stews, chili and soups. Legumes contain high amounts of iron, zinc, folate, potassium and fiber to make them a protein powerhouse. Additionally, legumes make great dips – chickpeas are wonderful in hummus but for this recipe, they’ll be used to make Mediterranean Chickpea salad.
One portion: 2 cups
• 6 oz lettuce, Spring mix
• 4 oz lettuce, romaine, chopped
• ¼ cup parsley, fresh, chopped
• ¼ cup mint bunch, fresh, chopped
• 1-1 ½ cup cucumber, half-moon sliced
• 2 cups tomatoes, diced
• 1 – 1 ½ cup beans, garbanzo, canned, drained, rinsed
• 2 oz cheese, feta, crumbled
• ¼ cup red onions, fresh, julienne sliced
• 6 Tbsp dressing, Greek feta vinaigrette
Mix spring mix, chopped romaine and herbs together.
Place all vegetables in a bowl and toss gently with the dressing. Garnish with Feta cheese and red onions.
Add seasonal greens such as spinach, kale, arugula or frisee for an extra green mix!
Nutrition information per 2 cup serving: 240 calories, 12g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 26g carbs, 10g protein, 8g dietary fiber, 780mg sodium