We know that welcoming your new baby is an important event in your family. Your health, your new baby, and your family are very important to us at the Birth & Women’s Center at Ascension Via Christi Hospital. As part of a comprehensive response to preparedness for COVID-19 outbreak, Ascension has evaluated our visitor procedures.
Our guidance addresses the safety of our associates and the persons with whom we are privileged to serve, in addition to ensuring that we continue to deliver optimal care and seek to balance that with our patients’ right to receive visitors. Our priority is to reduce transmission risk among associates and residents, protecting people who are at higher risk for adverse health complications.
Therefore, until further notice, please comply with the following guidelines:
- Only one designated support person per patient will be allowed into the Birth & Women’s Center. This person will need to pass screening criteria at the entrance of our hospital. The screening criteria includes no fever, cough, or difficulty breathing.
- It is recommended that visitors be 18 years of age or older.
To help keep you and your family safe during your stay we are also making the following changes on our unit:
- We will not be offering tours of the Birth & Women’s Center. We are working on providing a virtual tour on our web page for you to view. Our waiting room will be closed during this time.
- The designated support person will be provided all meals during their stay with you and the new baby.
- We strongly encourage the support person to pack a bag for themselves and stay with the you and the new baby until you are all ready for discharge. Every time the support person leaves the hospital, they will need to stand in line to be rescreened. Staying on the unit limits the exposure possibilities for your new family.
- Before coming to the hospital, we encourage you to call the L&D unit at 776-3864 so we can guide you on how to enter the hospital and be prepared for your arrival.
- We need you to enter the visitor entrance Monday-Friday from 5am to 5:30pm if you are over 20 weeks pregnant and need care for an OB related concern. The only unlocked door after 5:30 pm and on weekends is the Emergency Department entrance. If you are under 20 weeks and need care you will be cared for in the emergency department.
- If you are coming to the hospital for non-OB related concerns due to illness, you will need to enter the emergency entrance and register with the emergency department for care.