Wednesday, April 1, is National Walking Day. In spirit of the day, Ascension Via Christi and the American Heart Association encourage you to walk for at least 30 minutes to help raise awareness of physical activity in our community. So get your sneakers, grab a friend and get moving!
Did you know research has shown that walking at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
- Improve your blood pressure, blood sugar levels and blood lipid profile.
- Enhance your mental well-being.
- Increase your life expectancy by two hours for every hour of walking.
Walking is easy.
- Walking is the simplest way to start and continue a fitness journey.
- Walking costs nothing to get started.
- Walking has the lowest dropout rate of any type of exercise.
- Walking is easy and safe.
In Wichita, the AHA plans a special riverside walk at noon on April 1. Meet at the northwest or southwest corner of Main and Central then walk west to the Keeper of the Plains and circle back to Main and Central.
Visit the Heart Association’s startwalkingnow.org page for information on walking clubs, paths, fitness apps and the upcoming Heart Walks in Wichita, Hutchinson, Topeka and Joplin, Missouri.